Thursday, November 3, 2011

Power of Purpose: a matter of perspective


History has a way of repeating

- for those who don't learn from the past.



Dirty. That's the first word I use to describe Mozambique.

It's hot. It's sandy. It's sticky. It stinks, literally.
There's trash all over the sides of the streets.

It is also sad, and at the same time, it's scary.

Poverty and crime are proportionately high.
Street corner stop lights host thieves and beggars, alike.

And justice?

A joke!

…long since replaced with corruption and bribes.

During the time I've spent here:
I've been robbed. I've been scared. I've seen death and disease.
And too much at that!

I want to leave.

Why am I here, holding so much resentment?

Why do I stay in spite of it all?

Ten years ago, I asked myself those questions as I grudgingly slumped through our missionary term one day at a time. Mozambique is a tough place to live, and I did not want to be here. My parents were called to Africa, I wasn't.

Growing up, I couldn't think of anything worse than living in Africa as a missionary kid (MK). Our first five years overseas were the darkest of my life. I quickly grew tired of constantly moving, transitioning schools, living cross-culturally, and seemingly meeting people just to turn around and say good-bye. Rotten sick of living in a third world country, I wanted to go home - to the States, to my friends, to stay, and play ball.

People and sports - that's my passion.

They always have been as I recall. Each place I've lived, we've met along the way. The faces have changed with the balls and the nets, but they've always been right there.

At the end of my rope with life overseas, God proved He is faithful. In the middle of a life with so much change, the most special things were maintained. Sport. People. Family. God.

On a hot summer day in 2002, God changed my life with perspective.

He did it by giving me purpose.

Taking what I loved the most, He showed me how to use it for His glory. In my last two years as an MK, I began to see the power of sport reach people beyond the steeple. Basketball attracted communities that would have never otherwise walked through our gates. It was awesome!

People were the target. Sport was the platform.
But the call was to Himself.

God's faithfulness that came to me in the form of sports ministry brought me out of Africa alive, developed in me through university, and has now led me back to the place I received the call - the place I completely despised as a child.

I can't think of anything better than living in Africa as a missionary!

My first life here was dry and thorny, but since I've returned it hasn't stopped blooming! God amazes me daily with His love that is abundant, grace that is humbling, and provision that is ever-present. When I think life can't get better, it does! Serving God is the most rewarding decision a person will ever make.

Mozambique is still dirty, still sad, and still scary.
I am still Phillip - still selfish, still growing.
God is still loving, still speaking, and still faithful!

Same place. Same person. Same God.
Completely different perspective!

That is the power of purpose!



History has a way of repeating
- for those who don't learn from the past,


But God has a way of redeeming the hell of our world for the best!

No comments:

Post a Comment