Tuesday, February 1, 2011

February 2011













Hey Gang!

Devotional Thought
Another month is upon us. I know January's letter wasn't sent at the beginning of the month, but it still seems like the past thirty-one days have flown by. Speaking about flying by, all kinds of snowflakes are flying around the Midwest this week. Newscasters are calling for blizzard-like conditions from Oklahoma to Michigan. As I write, I am sitting in front of our fireplace in Missouri, enjoying the refuge of the warmth inside. My heart goes out to those less fortunate who are forced to brave the weather without such effective protection. As my back sweats from the overwhelming scorch of the fire, some families huddle around electric ovens, waiting for the feeling to return to their fingers. Why is there such an imbalanced distribution of wealth in the world? Just a thought. I've often wondered and struggled with the injustices of mankind.

Each Sunday morning, I get together with some of the young men in our local youth group to read the Bible and pray before the service. We typically read through a proverb and discuss verses that seem to speak to us. This past week, we observed Proverbs 30 and the pastor's son selected verses 8 and 9 as his verses of the day.

"Keep falsehood and lies far from me; give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread.
Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you and say, 'Who is the Lord?' Or I may become poor and steal, and so dishonor the name of my God."

Proverbs 30:8-9

Continuing on the thought of disproportionate distribution of wealth, this past Sunday, I was refreshed to talk to the guys about what really matters in life. American society tells us that materialism and consumerism are among the loftiest of goals, but this passage allowed us to be reminded that glorifying God is the ultimate target to shoot for in life. Earlier in January, I invited six of the guys over to my house for a sleepover (mom was thrilled). We stayed up eating pizza, talking in the living room, and watching a movie. It was a good time for everyone. A good majority of the conversation was related to our bucket lists (things we want to accomplish before dying). Typically materialistic items and events were listed. They wanted to own certain vehicles, go to particular places, and go skydiving. But I was humbled and proud to hear the number one item on two of boys' lists. The most anticipated achievement before dying for two of our most influential teenagers was to organize a mass week of revival in New York City. They had it all planned out to speakers, music artists, broadcasting, and promotion. It was great to see these young men infusing others with energy as they took us to the stadiums and acted out the week's activities in my living room.

This month's devotional thought is to remember what is eternally important and to live your lives accordingly. The Lord has blessed us differently, and it is hard to understand the imbalances therein, but Matthew chapter twenty-five reminds us to take however many talents He provides and use them to actively and tirelessly bring glory to His name. In the passage in Matthew, the talents were monetary, but in reality, the talents we receive from God come in many different forms. Family, friends, relationships, spiritual gifts, personalities, physical bodies, and natural aptitudes are all included. Instead of asking God why we aren't blessed like "so-and-so", we need to respond to each blessing God does choose to bestow on us and do our best at bringing Him glory with them. How do we do that? Find the answer in MATTHEW 27:35-36.

Praise

1: Part-time job landed at a factory!
God has provided a job opportunity at a local factory these past couple weeks. I have been working at a dog shampoo factory, and God has allowed me to make new friends and actually counsel some of the workers.

2: Over 25% funded!
I have continued selling football season highlight DVD's to people in the public. All of the proceeds are being sent to my mission account. In addition to this, people have been incredibly generous and faithful with their love and financial support, bringing the total to one-quarter complete!

3: Boa Nova property
One Mission Society was blessed to purchase a considerable piece of land outside the capital city of Maputo in Mozambique. This property will be the new site of the expanding mission school. It will also be used for missionary housing. This is most likely the area where I will be living when I serve my twelve month term shortly. Construction will begin this summer in hopes of completing buildings and athletic fields for the 2011/2012 school year in August.

Prayer Requests

1. Continued fund-raising opportunities
2. Construction in Boa Nova
3. Safety for travelers affected by the Midwest Wintry Blitz

Thank you again for all of your love and support!

Deus abencoe voces!
(God bless you all!)

- Phillip

No comments:

Post a Comment